Today I have the lovely Stephanie from The Dessert Spoon sharing one of her favourite cocktails – the Frida Cocktail! I can’t wait to give this a try.
Move over Mimosa – it’s time for a new classic brunch drink! The Frida Cocktail is a bold and refreshing fruity drink with an intriguing herbal twist.
This drink is the same class as other fruit/champagne-based brunch drinks, such as the Mimosa (orange), Bellini (peach), Rossini (strawberries) and Tintoretto (pomegranate). It is also, like most of these drinks, named after an artist.
So why is it called the Frida? I have named this drink in honour of Frida Kahlo. Frida was colourful and interesting – much like this cocktail – and not only was she an amazing artist but Frida also knew how to entertain in style.
Plums are currently in season but won’t be for too much longer so try this drink soon!
- 4 fresh plums
- 6-8 small sprigs thyme leaves only
- 1 x 750ml bottle sparkling white wine
- Peel, slice and remove the stones from the plums.
- Remove the leaves from 6 small sprigs and add to the plum pieces.
- Blend until smooth using either a blender or immersion blender.
- Taste - the thyme flavour should be present but not overpowering; add the leaves from another one or two thyme sprigs if necessary and blend again briefly.
- Strain the puree through a sieve to remove the lumps and bits.
- Pour approx 45ml (one jigger or 3 tbsp) of the plum puree into the bottom of a glass.
- Gently and slowly pour the wine over the top; do this slowly and carefully as it will fizz. Stir gently.
- Serve and enjoy immediately.
I must admit plums and thyme is a flavour combo I’ve never played with before, but I will be definitely giving this a go whilst they’re still in season!
What’s your favourite classic cocktail to make? Or do you have one of your own signature creations?
Oh pour me one of these puh-leeeeze!! I love the idea of adding thyme – what a great flavour to add to the mix!
Such a unique but delicious flavour!
[…] Please take the time to check it out – https://loveswah.com/2015/04/the-frida-cocktail/ […]
I love Stephanie’s work and wouldn’t it feel like summer to have one of these today. It’s so cold, windy and rainy up here – one of these would be enough sunshine for me.
Such miserable weather isn’t it! This cocktail would definitely brighten things up x
What an unusual flavour combination, but I really like the sound of it. Ok, pour me one of those.
Yes ma’am! Cocktails all round!