This classic vanilla cupcake is a staple in my cupcake repertoire. Feel free to tint the icing different colours to suit the client (or your mood!)
- 230 g butter softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 4 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup milk room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 230 g butter softened
- 6-8 cups icing sugar
- ½ cup milk room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Cream the butter with an electric mixer until smooth in a large bowl.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the 2 flours and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and vanilla. Do not overmix!
- Fill cupcake liners about ¾ full with mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- Place the softened butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add in 4 cups of sugar, then the milk and vanilla (adding gradually prevents the icing from going grainy).
- Beat for around 3-5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add the remaining sugar until it is thick enough to ice the cupcakes (you may not need all the sugar).
- Add a few drops of food colouring or divide the mixture into a few bowls and colour each one differently.
- Spoon the mixture into an icing bag with a nozzle attached and ice the cupcakes.
Hi Swah, i cant wait to try and make these! Where did you get the filigree wrappers from?
I got my wrappers from http://www.cakesaroundtown.com.au
Hi. The recipe ingredients don’t call for salt, but the instructions do. How much?
Thank you for pointing that out! I have amended the recipe to include 1/2 teaspoon salt :)
[…] my Devilishly Decadent Devil’s Food Cupcake recipe for the chocolate cupcake base with my Vanilla Buttercream tinted orange and black fondant for the decorations. Another tasty option is to use my Lemon […]
[…] took my basic vanilla cupcake recipe and filled each cupcake with homemade strawberry filling. Once baked, the cupcakes are adorned […]
I love these cute cupcakes very much. I especially like the vanilla vanilla. I will make this cupcake for my kids and they will love it.
Thanks Charles, I hope you and kids love them!