There’s no denying that I love a gruesome dessert now and then (hello Halloween Bleeding Cake, complete with plunged knife) and whenever Halloween comes around I am so ready for a holiday-themed treat.
I’m so pleased that Halloween is getting more popular in Australia as I think I love it as much as the kids!
I started off with a rich and moist dark chocolate cupcake that features a good amount of coffee for extra flavour. Each cupcake is topped with a generous layer of cream cheese icing (which is probably my favourite icing, ever).
And that lurid, red blood? Well it’s made from strawberries! It works well with fresh or frozen, depending on what’s in season, and then is slightly sweetened with icing sugar and thickened with corn starch.
I added a few drops of red food colouring to the strawberry “blood” to amp up the colour, but that is completely up to you.
Then you simply top off each cupcake with a gummy eyeball! Delicious AND creepy!
Bloody Halloween Eyeball Cupcakes
- 1⅔ cups plain flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 cup brewed coffee
- ½ cup flavourless vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream Cheese Icing
- 4-5 cups sifted icing sugar
- 100 g butter at room temperature
- 250 g cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 cup fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- ¼ tsp corn starch
- Gummy eyeballs
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 24 muffin tins with cupcake papers.
- Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the milk, vinegar, coffee, oil and vanilla extract in another bowl. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well combined.
- With the mixer on low, carefully add in the dry ingredients. Mix until combined (the batter will be very thin).
- Fill cupcake liners about ⅔ full with mixture and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream the butter and icing sugar together until well mixed.
- Add the cream cheese in cubes slowly until incorporated. Continue mixing for 5 minutes until the icing is light and fluffy.
- Smooth icing onto to the top of each cupcake with an offset spatula.
- Puree strawberries in a blender or food processor until smooth.
- Push through a strainer to separate seeds from liquid.
- Over a medium heat, bring strained strawberry liquid to a boil, add icing sugar and corn starch and stir until thickened for around 2 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely.
- Pour a small spoonful of the strawberry blood over each cupcake, letting it drip down the sides.
- Top each cupcake with a gummy eyeball.
I think kids would go mad for these at your Halloween party, and you could easy add the strawberry blood to any flavour of cupcake or cake! I’ve also made the same type of “blood” with raspberries.
I hope everyone has a great Halloween this year! What are you baking for it?