What do you bake for the ultimate puppy birthday party for your pooch? Pupcakes, of course! These tasty treats are safe for your dog to eat and feature 2 canine flavour favourites – peanut butter and banana.
I still cannot believe my gorgeous golden retriever is 1 year old! Happy Birthday Maggie! I wanted to throw her a little party for being such a good girl (most of the time) and I started recipe testing some dog friendly cupcake ideas. She was eager to help taste test.
The easy part was what flavour to make these pupcakes – 2 of her favourite things to eat in the world is peanut butter and bananas. And fortunately both of these treats are safe for pups. Although please double check the ingredient list on your peanut butter – some brands use the artificial sweetener Xylitol which is toxic to dogs.
This recipe is also fine for humans to eat if you’d like to share one with your furry friend, but I must warn you, without sugar they are pretty unexciting. I will be sharing a delicious human-friendly peanut butter cupcake recipe on the blog soon, so keep your eye out for that!
This recipe produces only a small batch of pupcakes, as too many of these surely can’t be great on your pup’s digestion. I ended up getting 3 large size cupcakes and 5 mini cupcakes out of it. But if you’re having a big party of pooches, you can easily double the recipe.
Buttercream is the standard topping for cupcakes, but no dog needs to eat that amount of sugar and butter! Instead I made a mix of cream cheese and smooth peanut butter, and added in some mashed banana for sweetness. It actually tasted quite nice and I may have licked my fingers a few times. Whilst this pup-friendly frosting isn’t as thick and creamy as standard buttercream frosting, it does pipe onto the cupcakes beautifully.
Dear Maggie was very patient whilst I set up the pupcake scene to photograph. She gave up eating her breakfast halfway through to wander over and investigate what all the peanut butter and banana smells were about!
She obediently donned a birthday hat (it’s a party after all!) and I offered her a mini pupcake. Her mouth opened and she snatched the entire thing in one bite. I quickly had to shove my hand inside her mouth to retrieve the cupcake wrapper so my tip is to remove the liner before offering them to pooch (lesson learnt!)
She was soon sniffing around the table again and this time went for one of the big pupcakes. She LOVED the peanut butter and banana frosting so much. What a cutie!
- ½ cup plain flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 medium banana, mashed
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
- 120g cream cheese
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ½ mashed banana
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line your muffin tin with cupcake papers - I did a combination of mini and full cupcakes.
- Sift together flour and baking powder; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the peanut butter, mashed banana, egg, and water until combined.
- Stir in the flour mixture, and mix until smooth. Scoop into muffin pans.
- Bake mini cupcakes for 8-10 mins and the big cupcakes for 15-20 mins.
- Cream the peanut butter and cream cheese together..
- Add in the mashed banana and continue mixing for 2 minutes until well mixed (please note this won't be as light and fluffy as normal buttercream with sugar).
- Spoon icing into a piping bag and pipe swirls onto the cooled cupcakes.
- Enjoy with your pooch!
This recipe makes enough for 3 large cupcakes and 5 mini cupcakes.
I hope your dog enjoys this recipe as much as Maggie did, and if you make these for your pup I’d love to see!