I love this gingerbread recipe and bake it regularly. It’s not dry like most gingerbread I have tried and is incredibly moreish. Don’t be afraid to steer away from the traditional gingerbread men shape and experiment with different cookie cutters. I love these jigsaw piece cutters I recently purchased!
- 125 g butter room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup golden syrup
- 1 egg
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/3 cup self raising flour
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 egg white
- Food colouring of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter, sugar and golden syrup until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined.
- In a large bowl sift the flours, ginger and bicarb, then add the wet mixture in. Mix until just combined.
- Flour your bench and knead the dough into a ball. Don't overwork the dough or it will toughen.
- Lay a piece of baking paper on a chopping board and roll the dough until it is 5mm thick. Refrigerate the dough for 15 mins.
- Once the dough has chilled, cut out shapes using any cutters you like. Press any remaining dough together, re-roll and continue cutting out shapes.
- Bake the gingerbread on oven trays for 10 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Allow the gingerbread to cool before icing.
- Beat the egg white until soft peaks form. Gradually add the lemon juice and icing sugar and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add food colouring into bowl until desired colour is achieved (alternatively divide the icing into several bowls if you want multiple colours).
- Smooth icing onto cookies using a teaspoon or spoon icing into a piping bag for more detailed decorating.
[…] LOVE gingerbread and make it regularly using a recipe I’ve been baking since I was a kid. When Brasserie Bread offered us the chance to take a […]
[…] If you can’t find them, you can use normal store-bought gingerbread or you could make your own! […]
made these for my family on Friday afternoon, ALL were gone when i returned home from work on saturday evening, sooooo yummy. I did alter the icing though and use water, lemon juice and a large quantity of icing sugar because I didn’t like the idea of having egg on a cookie at all.
So glad you liked them Gemma! And it’s a good idea to change the icing if you feel unsure about eating raw egg