Today on the blog I have the lovely Amy from Eat Pray Workout sharing her strawberries secrets with us. Welcome, Amy!
Chocolate strawberries are THE bombdigity. Yes, they’re that good that they require description by a verb that exceeds the realms of the English dictionary! Healthy goodness covered in a light layer of chocolate created by a quick and simple recipe – what more could a girl want?
Over years of trying to perfect these, I’ve learnt a few tricks to avoiding an awkward lumpy melted chocolate mess that you wouldn’t dream of serving to any guest. Time to share the secrets to successful chocolate strawberries with you!
1. Choose strawberries at your grocer that are fresh and free from soft spots.
2. Wash your strawberries. Let the strawberries come to room temperature by leaving them to dry on paper towel. If they are no dry the chocolate will not stick properly and you have a clumpy finish to your chocolate.
3. Be prepared before dipping. Clear a space for the trays in the fridge before melting your chocolate. Cover trays with baking paper. Have dry strawberries in a bowl lined with paper towel.
4. Melt Cadbury melts chocolate in a pyrex jug (or similar) in the microwave for 1 minute (checking and stirring at 30 seconds to avoid burnt chocolate) or alternatively on a low simmer over a double boiler if melting on the stove.
5. Keep the leaves and gather them in your fingers to dip the berries into the chocolate.
6. Don’t dip the strawberries too far in so that your leaves end up with chocolate on them too. This looks messy!
7. As you bring the strawberry up, slightly twist your wrist tipping the strawberry upside down to give it a classy and clean finish, avoiding excess chocolate and helping further cover the leaf end of the berry.
8. Some excess chocolate (as pictured on the base of the strawberries in the picture below) is ok! Just ask any chocolate strawberry lover – I bet they always try to choose the one with the most excess chocolate (I know I do!).
9. Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to harden, but try to avoid keeping them refrigerated as they will gain a white texture. Find a cool airtight container to keep them in.
10. Decorate! You can decorate with chocolate, eatable glitter, crushed nuts and much more! To decorate with chocolate, place the melted chocolate in a clip lock bag and snipping a tiny hole in the corner. You can use the same colour chocolate or colour white chocolate with food colouring. Head to the EPW pinterest page for more decorating ideas!
Styling for gifts or parties
I made a basket of healthy Easter themed chocolate strawberries on Eat Pray Workout! You could use the same serving idea I used for other gifts or styling food at your next dinner party.
- 2 packets Cadbury chocolate melts white, dark or milk chocolate –consider how you want to decorate them
- 2 punnets of strawberries
- plastic clip lock bag for piping
- Decorations of choice coconut, nuts, sprinkles, edible glitter, etc
- Method: Follow the secrets above!
Do you have any tips on decorating or making successful chocolate strawberries? What occasions do you like to make them for?