I hope you’ve all had a wonderful and chocolate-filled Easter break! My addiction to cookie cutters is getting worse and after stumbling upon some bunny shaped ones in a variety store, I KNEW I had to make bunny biscuits for Easter!
I wanted to fill them with something delicious and ended up making my own homemade dulce de leche and Nutella (both surprisingly easy). And fear not, my friends, the recipes for both of these will be up soon!
The actual biscuit is also crazy easy and has just 3 ingredients – butter, sugar and flour, making it a rich and dense cookie. Perfect.
- 225 g butter softened
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2¼ cups plain flour
- Dulce de Leche recipe link above
- Nutella recipe link above
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar and beat until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Sift in the flour and bring the mixture together to form a dough (don’t overbeat).
- Place dough between 2 pieces of glad wrap or parchment (so it doesn't stick) and gently roll it out to approx 3mm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut out your shapes and place them on your lined baking trays, leaving at least a 3cm gap between each cookie.
- Keep re-rolling dough scraps until finished - if the dough starts to get too soft and unmanageable, roll the dough flat on a board and place it in the fridge for 5 mins to firm up slightly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Once the biscuits are completely cool, spread a spoonful of dulce de leche and/or Nutella on the backs of half the biscuits and sandwich them gently together.
The bunnies lightly golden and fresh out of the oven. Allow them to completely cool before icing.
Spread the homemade dulce de leche and Nutella on the backs of half the biscuits and then sandwich them together!
You can make these versatile biscuits in any shape and fill with whatever your heart desires – how about jam and cream, or lemon curd?