Whilst I am off eating/drinking/buying everything in sight in America, I am lucky enough to have 3 very talented bloggers to guest post when I am away! If want to follow my USA adventures, my Instagram account is your best bet.
First off I have the lovely JJ from 84th and 3rd with a delicious looking dessert!
Hi, it’s great to be here today while Swah is off on her American adventures! Swah and I met at a bloggers picnic a few years back and have bonded many times since over everything from wine in the Hunter Valley and baked goods of all descriptions, to sharing a table at the MCA Zine Fair and collaborating on a digital food and travel magazine.
Some how we are still talking to each other and planning (scheming?) new projects so we must be equally insane — isn’t it nice when you find someone who appreciates your special brand of crazy?!
I was fiercely tempted to make a decadent dessert of some kind, after all a guest post round these parts is the perfect excuse to go wild with butter and sugar, but having only recently returned from my own American adventure I’m still in recovery from far too much eating over far too many weeks.
So out of respect for my ever-tightening pants I figured I’d stick with a treat that’s a bit more my style — vegan, dairy-free, whole spelt — yet cake-y and entirely appropriate for breakfast, ahem. Not to mention, my pumpkin obsession is well documented and this is simply another one to add to the list.
Swah thanks for having me here to guest post I hope you are having a great time on your trip, you may need a few of these when you get back! For anyone I haven’t met on the Internets before, you can find me at my blog 84th & 3rd or floating around on various social media.
- 1 cup roasted pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup mashed banana
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dessicated coconut
- 1 1/2 cup whole spelt flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- scant 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice or 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp cloves, 1/4 tsp ginger, pinch nutmeg, pinch allspice
- roasted pumpkin seeds optional
- Preheat over to 180C (350F) and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine pumpkin, banana and coconut and mix well. Sift over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter onto the tray, the cake bites won't spread very much so you can keep them pretty close together. Press seeds into tops if using.
- Bake for 8 - 10 mins until just firm and lightly browned. Cool on tray for 5 mins before moving to rack to cool completely.
* This recipe has no sugar but if you want a sweeter cake bite add a couple Tbsp of coconut sugar or rice syrup with the banana.
A huge thanks to JJ for sharing this tasty (and healthy!) recipe and stay tuned for another guest post next week!